The American Dialect Society has chosen its words of the year and word of the decade.
- The word of the decade was “google”, meaning to search the internet.
- The word of the year was “tweet”, meaning a short message sent through Twitter, or the act of so doing.
- Most Useful was “fail”, as in “FAIL”.
- Most Creative was “Dracula sneeze”, the act of sneezing into your elbow.
- Most Unnecessary was “sea kittens”, PETA’s euphemism for fish.
- Most Outrageous was “death panel”, those non–existent committees of doctors that will euthanize your grandma (thank you Sarah).
- Most Euphemistic was “hike the Appalachian Trail”, to have sex with a secret lover.
- Most Likely to Succeed was “twenty–ten”, the name of the year 2010.
- Least Likely to Succeed was any term used to refer to the last decade.