The American Dialect Society has chosen its Words of the Year 2014:
- Most Useful was “even” in the sense of handling a tough situation.
- Most Creative was “columbusing” a kind of cultural appropriation, especially when a majority group “discovers” something already known by a minority.
- Most Unnecessary was “baeless” meaning without a romantic partner.
- Most Outrageous was “second-amendment” meaning to kill someone.
- Most Euphemistic was “EIT”, for enhanced interrogation techniques.
- Most Likely to Succeed was “salty” meaning exceptionally upset.
- Least Likely to Succeed was “platisher” meaning a webmedia that is an output for creative works.
- Most Notable Hashtag was “#blacklivesmatter” protests over Black people killed by police.
“#blacklivesmatter” was also Word of the Year.
The ADS’s sibling organization, the American Name Society, chose “Ferguson” as its name of the year.