The United States has won the Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship. They beat Canada 7–5 in the gold medal game. Finland won bronze, and Germany finished in eighth place and was relegated.
The final rankings are:
- United States
- Germany – relegated to Division I A
Barring a change in format, these will be the pools for the 2016 tournament in Kamloops BC:
||Winner of Division I A
Tomorrow, the 2015 Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship starts in Sweden. It will be the 25th anniversary of the tournament.
I think that the most likely result will be a similar one to the previous tournament. The top two will be the usual suspects. Finland will probably be third. I am losing confidence in my predictions that Sweden will return to the top four. Japan will likely be relegated.
The original version of this song is one of my niece’s favourites.
Also, the pianist is Canadian and plays her music by ear.
Team USA has won the 2015 IIHF U18 Women’s World Championship. They won it 3–2 in overtime. The final rankings are:
- United States – Gold Medal
- Canada – Silver Medal
- Russia – Bronze Medal
- Czech Republic
- Japan – Relegated to Division I
The next tournament will be in St. Catherine’s, Ontario.
The American Dialect Society has chosen its Words of the Year 2014:
- Most Useful was “even” in the sense of handling a tough situation.
- Most Creative was “columbusing” a kind of cultural appropriation, especially when a majority group “discovers” something already known by a minority.
- Most Unnecessary was “baeless” meaning without a romantic partner.
- Most Outrageous was “second-amendment” meaning to kill someone.
- Most Euphemistic was “EIT”, for enhanced interrogation techniques.
- Most Likely to Succeed was “salty” meaning exceptionally upset.
- Least Likely to Succeed was “platisher” meaning a webmedia that is an output for creative works.
- Most Notable Hashtag was “#blacklivesmatter” protests over Black people killed by police.
“#blacklivesmatter” was also Word of the Year.
The ADS’s sibling organization, the American Name Society, chose “Ferguson” as its name of the year.
Happy New Year to everyone.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.
Just like I said I would, here’s the video of one of the songs that I said would “surely make it” to my best Christmas songs list:
Sorry, the other one will have to wait until next Christmas Eve, (as befits the title).
Also, thank you to Vevo for making it possible to post the audio and not have to use a pretty crummy video with outtakes at the end.