Tomorrow, the 2015 Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship starts in Sweden. It will be the 25th anniversary of the tournament.
I think that the most likely result will be a similar one to the previous tournament. The top two will be the usual suspects. Finland will probably be third. I am losing confidence in my predictions that Sweden will return to the top four. Japan will likely be relegated.
The original version of this song is one of my niece’s favourites.
Also, the pianist is Canadian and plays her music by ear.
Team USA has won the 2015 IIHF U18 Women’s World Championship. They won it 3–2 in overtime. The final rankings are:
- United States – Gold Medal
- Canada – Silver Medal
- Russia – Bronze Medal
- Czech Republic
- Japan – Relegated to Division I
The next tournament will be in St. Catherine’s, Ontario.
The American Dialect Society has chosen its Words of the Year 2014:
- Most Useful was “even” in the sense of handling a tough situation.
- Most Creative was “columbusing” a kind of cultural appropriation, especially when a majority group “discovers” something already known by a minority.
- Most Unnecessary was “baeless” meaning without a romantic partner.
- Most Outrageous was “second-amendment” meaning to kill someone.
- Most Euphemistic was “EIT”, for enhanced interrogation techniques.
- Most Likely to Succeed was “salty” meaning exceptionally upset.
- Least Likely to Succeed was “platisher” meaning a webmedia that is an output for creative works.
- Most Notable Hashtag was “#blacklivesmatter” protests over Black people killed by police.
“#blacklivesmatter” was also Word of the Year.
The ADS’s sibling organization, the American Name Society, chose “Ferguson” as its name of the year.
Happy New Year to everyone.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.
Just like I said I would, here’s the video of one of the songs that I said would “surely make it” to my best Christmas songs list:
Sorry, the other one will have to wait until next Christmas Eve, (as befits the title).
Also, thank you to Vevo for making it possible to post the audio and not have to use a pretty crummy video with outtakes at the end.
I found this list of songs reportedly used for the purposes of torture (via).
First of all, I have to say that no one, even the worst composer/songwriter, deserves to have their creative works used in the infliction of torture.
I’m not really going to revise my list of worst songs. Earlier this year, I remember thinking that one of the biggest recent songs, “All About That Bass” was one of the worst songs ever. Since then, having heard it several times more, I’ve decided that it is nowhere near as bad as the ones I’ve already listed. And indeed, I don’t really really mind hearing the songs I previously listed every so often; it’s really the genres rather than the songs per se.
However, since it is the holiday season, I do see fit to list what I see as some of the worst Christmas songs:
- “River”: I’ve never liked this song.
- “Last Christmas”: Actually, my problem isn’t with the song itself. The problem is that this song is so ridiculously overplayed that anyone can get sick of it.
- The novelty ones: The worst novelty ones are “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”, “All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth”. I’m lumping them together and won’t dignify them by giving them their own entries.
- “The Christmas Shoes”: I interpret the last verse to be saying that God is killing someone’s mom in order to teach someone else the “true meaning of Christmas”. Enough already.
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside”: The sooner this duet melts away the better. And has anyone actually listened to the lyrics? They ought to turn anyone off.
However, I will eventually have to revise my personal list of best Christmas songs. While the top three remain the same (in a different order) two other ones will surely make it. I’ll choose one and post a video of the “winner” tomorrow. The other one will have to wait until next year.